Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Final Approach



When you travel around Vancouver Island you will likely want to know where you can get a good meal. Generally, I just ask the locals. Most often they will lead you to the best places. It sure has worked for me. Now I have a sweet tooth so it has been my mission to find the best places for ice cream cones, my major weekness. I also like great pie. Lemon Merange, Banana Cream, and Pumpkin Pie are among my favourites. I really like Pecan pie, Strawberry Rubarb, Apple, and a host of others.For years, a lady in Sooke made pies for Mom’s cafe. The pie there was fantastic. I have not been there for a while so I hope that is still the case. Just recently I found a restaurant at the airport in Qualicum Beach. I had heard the food was pretty good there and it surely is. After a couple of visits, one person right behind me asked what was for desert. The waiter rattled off a list of pie that would knock your socks off. When he brought it out, he did a masterful job of marketing. He walked around the restaurant making sure everyone had a good look at the pie. That was good enough for me. I tried my favourite, banana cream. The crust is unbelieveable and very flakey. Not sure how many times I have been back there. Just recently I had a buffalo burger there and it was outstanding.I have introduced this place to many of my friends and aquaintences. Now I am introducing it to the world. The Final Approach is a great spot to eat. Everytime I am in there it is full of locals. Often times you will need a reservation. It is located at 3-1000 Ravensbourne Lane in Qualicum Beach, BC. Phone (250) 752-8966.You can sit inside our out on their patio. The planes come and go on the tarmac right outside the restaurant. You can get much closer without sitting in the plane. When in Qualicum, I recommend you give this place a try. For more photos click here

No comments: